Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A day at Boca Chica beach


Boy what a day! It was like a buffet of everything one could ask for when people watching. We started off taking a taxi to Boca Chica beach at 10 in the morning. Once we negotiated our seating arrangements at the beach for the day, we were quickly bombarded by vendors selling everything from necklaces (which there is no charge to touch by the way) to empanadas to tanning oils. Jill was having trouble locating her sunglasses in a timely manner but, not to worry, several sunglass vendors were right by her side to help her in her time of need. Fortunately, she found them before she shelled out $600 pesos for a "designer pair.





This lovely specimen blocked our beach view most of the time. We couldn't tell where his head hair ended and his back hair began. You can't tell but he arrived at the beach wearing this number with socks pulled up and tennis shoes. I wonder what his cab driver was thinking.....




Marsia's "firsts"


1.) I had my first Presidente (the local brew).





2.) I had my first marriage proposal accompanied by a very brief chiropractic/massage therapy session on my neck. I was unaware the two went hand in hand....





3.) The first time I should've brought my whizzies and didn't.





4.) The first time I've seen so many speedos in one geographic square foot at the same time.







5.) The first time I'd ever seen a 4-year old pole dancing/girating while being encouraged by her mother.



Reeeaaalllyy.... no comment....



6.) The first time I helped my aunt get all the toilet paper off the back of her leg. She was just trying to make a little seat saver and it backfired.





7.) The first and only kitty I've seen since I've been here. I didn't know they liked the beach.





8.) My first free 7-up because no one had change for $1000 pesos.





9.) The first time I've seen so many old crusty guys with very young pretty Dominican women just "having lunch."





10.) First time I've seen so much dirty/provocative dancing on the beach in the middle of the day.






11.) I learned that if you bring your own rum, the waiters will still mix your drinks for you. They might serve themselves one or two as well.





12.) The first time I've seen so many hurt/skinny doggies running all over the beach, yet they don't beg for food at all.







13.) My first Dominican sunset.







All in all, it was a great day. We both got a little sunburnt but it was totally worth it. I can't wait until we take our little adventure to the Hamaca at Boca Chica for four glorious days!
Word of the day: Pretendiente (Jill told me to remember "pretend teeth): it means someone who wants to court you.



Deep Thoughts from the mind of Marsia

2 comments:

  1. Lovin the speedos!! Sweet, a marriage proposal? When is the big day?? Poor little puppies, Im glad Im not there or I would want to take them all in. Love you guys and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The speedos are a treat~
    The blog is awesome! It seems you have had more "unique" experiences in the few days you have been there than I did in 2 weeks. You two look like you're having a great time! Tell eveyone hi!

    ReplyDelete