Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

Better late than never!! Jill is off in the states so I'm going to have to do this all alone. Scary!!! But not as scary as not having my personal translator by my side every step of the way. Also, I'm typing this on a Spanish keyboard so I apologize in advance for any typos or improper punctuation.


Thanksgiving dinner went off without too many issues. The oven was a bit tricky so rather than being ready at 2pm, it was ready about 4pm. But not to worry, Rossy brought a rotisserie chicken, guandules, and rice to satisfy everyone just enough that they weren't quite hungry when the Thanksgiving feast was finally ready. We had a few "team players" (special thanks to Thalia, Luisa, and Alfredo for not crossing over to the dark side even though I'm sure you all really wanted too).

One thing I learned is that Dominicans are great about improvising. Although we didn't have a potato masher nor a can opener, they made the best of it. See Jessica mashing potatoes with a plastic cup and Alfredo opening a can with a knife (I was nervous about that one so I needed to step aside). Everyone had a great time, despite the heat in the kitchen, and all in all, I'd say it was a great experience my first time preparing the entire meal. Jill helped a little. (She's not here to say otherwise, so I can stick with that story).



The rest of the photos are just of everyone having a great time and enjoying each others company. That's what Thanksgiving's all about! I hope this gives you an idea of the people we see each day. Everyone is so great and have all been so kind to us. Also, I must say, it was the first time I've eaten Thanksgiving dinner and then put my feet in a pool to cool off. I could get used to that.



Milvia, Nasu, and Luis. All have opened their houses to us and we are so thankful. (I'm sure that was in the grace Jill said but I didn't understand)



Nassuel, Milvia, and Nasmil. Such great children and Milvia is a wonderful mother.



Thalia, Massiel, Rosa Lee, Chanel, Luisa, and Lisa. Such gorgeous girls!




Ada, Miss Oregon herself, and Rossy



Alfredo, our can opener




Chanel and me



I was crowned "runner-up" although, I'm pretty sure I won but I know Jill is still bitter about the 1st Annual Dessert Smackdown and the Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest (I wonder how Jewley Bedazzled is doing?) so I'll give her something. Who won the 2nd Annual Dessert Smackdown by the way???

And that's about it for our Thanksgiving. I hope everyone had a great one as well! The blogs might be a little slow for the next week or so but we'll get back on track soon! Until next time....


2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving feast! You guys all look great! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Mar Mar you did such a good job posting the blog entry, the T.A.G. program really paid off. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete